My Den

Welcome to my Blog!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

UNTOUCHABLES

Thomas Friedman in his tryst with flat world defines Untouchables as people whose jobs cannot be outsourced. I will mould the definition and say Untouchables consist of those whose jobs cannot be substituted by another person. Such jobs can be divided into three categories: “special” workers, “specialized” workers, and another set of workers who are “really adaptable”.

Now in my quest for a job I am wondering which category I will fall in so as to be secured for lifetime.

Special workers are all the big names like Bill Gates, Larry King, Amitabh Bachchan, and Britney Spears. They are not afraid of their jobs being taken away mostly because the job they are doing have been created by themselves. The kind of acting, singing, reporting is like their copyright.
Some introspection: What job can I invent which will be my and only my copyright? Answer: Blank.

Let’s move on to the second one: Specialized workers.
This category includes specialized doctors (for example: Trehan, Venugopal), specialized lawyers, engineers etc. Their skills are always placed high and hence always in demand. No fear of loosing out to anyone and safe and secure future. Now which field can I specialize in? Tough question, but still searching for an easy answer.

Next category consists of “really adaptable” people. That means constantly upgrading your skill so that no one can overtake you from any side. That means constantly involved in honing your skills and also enhancing it. This adaptation is not like “Adaptation amongst reptiles” or “Adaptation amongst Aquatic animals” as they adapt once and that’s all. But here adaptation is ever evolving. For a lazy bee like me Thomas Friedman says “really adaptable”.

Is there any fourth option?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful...

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home